Written for https://fromcavewalls.wordpress.com/2023/02/03/tell-me-the-truth/. She asks what is the truth.
- What is truth? The absolute truth is I don’t know. We are all unreliable narrators because we see the truth in different paths. It is our memory of what happened, and sometimes we get it wrong.
- Is truth absolute or is it nuanced? It is absolute, when you are sure of what has happened. Nuanced, I’m not sure. What I do know is, sometimes there are times when you don’t tell the truth to spare other people’s feelings.
- Does our personal experience impact our idea of what is true? Again, I feel we can be unreliable narrators. One version of the truth may not reflect the other.
- Why does it seem everyone’s version of the truth is somewhat different? Because we see it from different pairs of eyes. For instance, if a teenager gets into trouble, their version of what happened omits all the tone. They replay the truth, but not was meant by their words. Adults can be the same because we don’t want to be the one who has made a mistake.
- Do you always tell the truth? Apart from the occasional white lie. An example (telling my daughter the spider had gone, but really it scuttled under the sofa, reappearing moments later). I think it is important to be honest, but I’m not perfect.
- Who do you trust to tell you the truth? My Bestie, and my family.